Digital Archaeology

The digital archaeology project has been one of the most difficult projects I have had to complete thus far. The idea behind the project and the instructions were clear however, actually finding information about the item my group took apart was extremely difficult. The group that I was in disassembled a Game Boy Advance. Taking it apart took a little longer than anticipated. For example, we discovered words and numbers on the opposite side of the screen which was covered in a sticky fabric like material. It was able to be scraped off, but we were worried at first about ruining any information we could have received from that part. Luckily, we were able to retrieve it. After we took the Game Boy apart a little more, we began to see a lot more of the miniature chips that were inside.

When my group began to assign parts, we realized that the 12 part goal that we had to investigate was going to be hard to accomplish. I did research on the largest chip which was from a company in Japan along with most of the parts. I also found the Neatline website to be a very useful tool, once it was figured out. Starting out, it was a little confusing to navigate, but after only using a couple of the tools, we became familiar with the necessities needed to complete our tasks.

Overall, I found this project to be very interesting in finding when and where parts of the Game Boy came from. It allowed for a lot of in depth research which worked for some parts but not for others. I believe that the items found within the object will differ from group to group depending on the size, use, and the year it was created.

Included below and in our presentation is a time lapse that I constructed to show a quick version of how we disassembled our item.

Game Boy Advance

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *